Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Spring Break on Kodiak


This week we were supposed to go on a spring break ski vacation to Alyeska.  Except the Corona Virus Panic happened.  So now we are going to stay home on Kodiak.  It's not such a bad thing - rather than spend our money on travel, car rental, restaurants, hotels and lift tickets we may just hire a helicopter to take us up into the mountains.  If the weather looks good we may go camping!  No matter what it will be a cheaper and far more adventurous vacation.

The pictures for this post are more from the ski traverse I did last weekend with Nora.  I think we will be doing more of this in the week to come.  Yesterday I took both kids skiing (post to come).  That was a little difficult - so today I am taking them skiing separately.

On the Corona Virus - I am a little worried that as a country we are over-reacting.  I am actually more worried about the economic repercussions than the actual virus.  My biggest fear is for the small businesses because if they go out of business those jobs will not be replaced.  The USA could permanently lose a lot of jobs, and in the long run that may hurt people worse than the actual virus.  That said it is best to take the pandemic seriously and clean the hands etc.   But it is the old people and sick who are most at risk - so perhaps we should be focusing more on protecting those populations?

Anyway, I really do not have a solution.  I do know that in 1933 when the country was facing a severe economic crisis and banks were failing from a lack of group faith that our president said, 'we have nothing to fear but fear itself'.  He was right then, and I wonder if we should be thinking a bit more that way than the full on panic mode everybody seems to be in.  Maybe we should be taking more steps to protect small businesses?
Patrick

















No comments:

Post a Comment