Search This Blog

Monday, March 27, 2017

Back to the Buskin


Last night we got an inch or so of fresh snow.  So today for the afternoon ski with the dogs I decided to return to the Upper Buskin.  I parked at the outlet to the lake, skiied across the lake and up the river to the canyon.  I have not skiied the Upper Buskin for a couple of weeks, and was worried there would not be enough snow.  I need not have worried.  There was plenty of snow and the new powder had freshened it up nicely.  It was perfect.  In fact it is better now than it was in February.  All the holes are frozen over and it is very easy to ski all the way to the waterfall.

It's been an amazing run of skiing on the Upper Buskin.  I checked back in the blog archive and I first skiied up into the Buskin Canyon back on January 24rth (click for link).  That is over 2 months ago!  What's really amazing is that it has been a very poor snow year for Kodiak - at this point we are 33 inches below normal and have only gotten 6 more inches than last year.  But the snow we do have has sure stuck around.

Today I experimented with vertical panoramics.  Rather than take photos in a line horizontally and then stitch them together, I tried taking them in a line up and down and stitching them together.  I am very pleased with the results (see top and third photos).  The technique helped accentuate and show the depth of the canyon.  I did do one standard horizontal pan (see immediately below), and it does not show the depth of the canyon nearly as well.  Patrick





No comments:

Post a Comment