Search This Blog

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Skate Skiing with Stuey


When it comes to living in Fairbanks or Anchorage vis a vis Kodiak I have always been slightly envious about one thing - the ski programs for children.  I have had to work hard to teach my kids to ski, and I had actually despaired that I would ever teach them to skate ski.

But suddenly it is what Stuey wants to do and he has actually gotten good at it almost overnight.  I think it helped that back in January he went skating on the 'long blade' skates I have that have a free heel (click here).  I did not realize it but he was basically learning to skate ski.

When we got back from Anchorage last weekend I took him to Lake Catherine to try skate skiing.  I had him on short waxless cross country skis.  He looked at my skate skis and said, 'Daddy I want to try those'. So we switched skis, and even though they were far to long for him he loved the skate ski glide.  So I ended up chasing him all around the lake on the short waxless skis.  They were definitely WAY too short for me!  And wow! but he flew on daddy's skate skis.

Patrick


No comments:

Post a Comment