Search This Blog
Friday, March 31, 2017
Beating the storm
Yesterday I woke up to and posted about the storm that was to (and has since) wreak havoc on the cross country skiing at sea level. It was supposed to start raining around 11AM and temperatures were to rise into the 40s by early afternoon. I anticipated taking a nap after work.
And yet I got to work and it started to snow hard, and come 11AM it continued to snow hard. Could it, would it continue to snow after I got out of work? I kept on looking out the window and surreptitiously checking the internet for the weather conditions out at the airport. When I left work at 1PM it was still snowing and the temperature at the airport was a cool 33 degrees.
I rushed home and grabbed my cross country skis and the dogs. And off we went to the Upper Buskin. The wind was screaming so we opted not to cross the lake. As we skiied in from the road I was pleasantly surprised by the layer of 2-4 inches of fluffy, DRY powder covering everything. It was heavenly with no wind in the trees.
We skiied up into the canyon and to the waterfall that 24 hours earlier I had thought I was seeing for the last time this season. We had beaten the storm!
On the way back to the car it continued to snow but it started to melt on the trees and drip on the trail. It was no longer dry powder. And then as we drove back into town the snow turned to sleet and then all rain once we got to town. The storm had arrived in earnest.
Patrick
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment