Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Birch Hill


While at the conference I have played hooky once a day to go cross-country skiing at Birch Hill.  Sometimes it is hard to find a time that does not conflict with papers I really want to see, and I regret that I missed a few.  But on the other hand the sunshine and exercise is totally worth it!

I love skiing at Birch Hill.  Fairbanks recently got a lot of snow so the trails are soft and silent.  I glide along through the birch trees and the shadows play across the snow.  I love the way the sun shines through the trees.  It is totally NOT Kodiak.

Today it was pretty cold and I tried a new trail on classic skis.  It is a newly made trail called the 'Sunnyside' trail that exits off of the 'Outhouse Loop'.  The trail lived up to its sunny name and descended all the way to the bottom of the hill where I found a small ski resort with lifts.  I then climbed all the way back up to the top of the hill.  It was a LONG climb - Phweew.  Patrick


No comments:

Post a Comment